- Veterinary Professionals
- Pet Owners
- International Visitors
Click here to go to the I.V. Solutions - Colloids page.
- Composed of large molecules that remain in the intravascular space longer
- Can replace and maintain intravascular colloid osmotic pressure, reducing incidence of interstitial edema
- Can reduce overall volume of intravascular fluid needed
- Can increase the oxygen carrying capacity of the blood
Click here to go to the I.V. Solutions - Crystalloids page.
- Small solutes that quickly diffuse into the interstitial space.
- Within an hour: 20% remains in the vasculature and 80% diffuses in the interstitial space
- Ideal interstitial rehydration solution
- Not ideal for large volume intrvascular fluid resuscitation or when increased capillary permeability exists
- Large volumes may cause interstitial volume overload with edema
AAHW-149/R5 October 2012